When you are looking for a professional job concerning the construction or the maintenance of the roof at your property, you need to hire expert roofing contractors. To hire the right expert with experience and reputation, you need to leverage the online rating sites for services. Search online and make the perfect choice for your requirements.
The very first thing you need to remember is the fact that there are few regulations when it comes to roofing and construction. This means, without a proper building code to rely on, it is all about hiring the right expert who will maintain your best interests with respect to design and stability while doing the construction.
So, you can very well understand that it is all about the evaluation of the contractor. Now, most of us do not know a single thing about roofing or any construction for that matter. The following article has been designed by our experts to help you evaluate your expert through a series of essential questions. Since roofing is serious investment it is important to validate the expertise, professionalism and experience of the contractor. This is the only way to ensure the quality of work, cost effectiveness and time management for the project.
First, we will have a look at the general questions that you need to ask your roofing contractor before signing-up.
The general queries
- Ask about the experience and the years in business.
- Ask about the location of the office premises for the service.
- Ask about the owner of the business and length of time they have been the owners.
- Ask about their previous work and if possible, go through their catalog of prior work.
- Ask about the workers, employees, or third-party contractor if any. This will make sure you know exactly who will work on your property.
- Inquire about the experience and the training of the workers and engineers who will work on your property.
- Inquire about the previous customers and personally ask them for a recommendation about the service.
- Ask about the schedule of the job and the time duration it will take to complete.
- Inquire about the licensing and the certifications of merit for the service to make sure of the legality and authenticity.
- It is essential to ask about the insurance coverage for the roofing constructor to make sure you are protected against liability charges in case of an accident.
- Ensure the safety measures for the workers and your family members while the roofing project is underway at your property.
It is imperative that you start with these general questions. Once you have received acceptable answers, you can move on to the next batch of questions regarding the specifics of your work/construction.
About specific questions for the project
- Ask about the accessibility to the roof and the provisions you need to supply to the contractor.
- Ask about the removal of worn-out and damaged areas.
- Inquire about the requirement of a dumpster and the temporary toilet facility, if any.
- Inquire about inclement weather and the steps taken to protect unfinished construction and the water sensitive raw materials.
- Ask about the warranties for the installed products and the craftsmanship. If possible, obtain written consent for the warranty.
- Ask about driveway and property protection during the ongoing project.
- Inquire about the materials; plywood or the other masonry construction materials according to the type of roof you are going for.
- Ask about quality control and regular inspection during the project. Make sure there is an overseer present at your site at all times during the construction.
- Ask your questions about the installations of the flashings and removal as well as disposal of the old ones from your roof. It is a good idea to go with the environment-friendly “green-contractor.”
- Ask about sealing of some regions of the roof during the construction.
- Inquire about the pipe placements during the construction.
- Ask your questions regarding the payment mode and advance if any. Our experts would like to point out that a professional practice will stay upfront about the fees, but you should pay the entire amount only after completion of the project.
- Inquire about the factors that might cause the quoted and estimated costs of the project to change.
- Ask about roof replacement if that is your requirement. There are specialists for roof replacement, so make sure you are going with the right practice.
- Ask about the placement of ventilation, attic inspection, and leak-proofing measures that will ensure the longevity of the newly installed roof.
- Ask your questions regarding the tax credits and rebates on utilities if any when signing up with the contractor.
After construction of the roof
After the completion of the project, the first step is to ensure that you do a complete visual check of the roof. Get a friend or family member to help you with the inspection or hire a second expert for a different opinion. Use every available option you have to get the finished roof inspected for leaks, cracks, and areas that look unusual.
Look for areas that might accumulate water, debris, and wear and tear. Keep in mind that mold, rust, and biological growth on the roof also hurt the longevity of the construction in the long run. All of the problems can be dealt with the simple visual inspection. So do not miss out on this vital step.
Additionally, make sure that the roof has adequate and good quality drainage. During the monsoon, water accumulates and collects on parts of the roof. Make sure of the drainage as well as the cricket for the chimney, if any. If you are planning to install skylights, inform your contractor as early as you can.
Trust the experts; you can never ask too many questions. If you are going with a professional contractor, he/she will welcome all your queries and take you through the entire process thoroughly. It is after all your hard-earned money that you are investing in the project. So, ask away, obtain your answers, and then sign on the dotted line.